Thoughts on GS from a Biased Bystander

ForumsGeneral Discussion › Thoughts on GS from a Biased Bystander
  • Cap'n Crunch

TL;DR YoloSwag section below.

My initial reaction to Global Supremacy was very positive. The app's interface is slick and modern, and certainly shows that Nick and MFP know how improve on their already excellent Turf Wars design. The maps are a fresh change, adding detailed layouts from global to local levels and a greatly improved and speed up capo/director determining system. The HUD is nicely redesigned and Push notifications are instantaneous compared to the often long delays TW faced. Many new additions like the introduction of scanning and 4 new skill sets to improve in have also given GS a distinct feel of its own.

Yet among all these aesthetic improvements GS has opted to radically change the way it handles several core aspects that made TW such a great success among the other GPS-MMO-likes.

• Cap'n Crunch

The most glaring difference is the elimination of the code-punching system TW employed. I personally was glad to hear this change coming, yet worried it would inevitably remove an aspect of the game that drew a clear line between pay-to-win and play-to-win. The more time you put in punching codes, the better you would do. No matter how much money a person spent, they could never succeed if they didn't put in the time to punch. However this system has inevitable flaws including limiting the potential of any new players coming to the game and distracting from actually playing the game, leaning towards a grinding mini-game that has a major impact on success in the actual game.

My hope for GS was that MFP would find a balance between dedicated players able to succeed through hard work and good strategy in combat and a system that nudged, but did not force, players to pay for a better experience. My time with GS so far has suggested that this is not the case.

• Cap'n Crunch

Similar to mob, agents are the driving force of a player's success. Rather than punching, they are increased based on the amount of bases one owns. If GS followed the same acquiring/capping mechanics TW followed this would be fine. One could cap over their limit indefinitely, and would slowly try and go under limit with free Tiberium/DP daily. Now in GS capping over limit is prohibited and a reasonable amount of free Tiberium is impossible without handing out credit cards details or endlessly watching ad videos that give a fraction of the amount TW did. (Seriously. Tapjoy really nailed us on that one. Lemme know if there's another way). In other words the only way to be competitive is to buy more and more bases. (Again correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to look into a blurry crystal ball and stir up some changes).

• Cap'n Crunch

HOPPING

Ok. No airports, good job. But limit hopping too? It's not the fact that in tearing down bases you are forced to lose all of your upgrades or the resources requirements to build them in the first place. Those will seem like chump change after a few months of stockpiling. No, no; it's the absurd amount of time it takes to build anything. And the only way to get around that? Buy Tiberium. This is where the new system really irks me. Hopping was my favorite thing about TW. How else would one hypothetically take out a badmouthing forum troll in the middle of the night or swipe a load of unequi-COUGH-pable loot? This game takes GPS serious, a step in the right direction I'd say (Sorry if you live in Hawaii), but no need to overdo it.

• 👻⋆℟ꇎῃઙϮƎя⋆👻

I agree.
    Throw in a pile of $$$ and you're the man. Was really hoping this wouldn't be the case in GS.

• Cap'n Crunch

The TL;DR YoloSwag section:

In summary GS and TW are similar in some ways and different in others. GS seems to be a more casual take; a pleasant experience in mapping your travels on the road while not having to worry about getting capped. Or you could put down the big bucks for global domination. Either way the game is an enjoyable experience, quite different from it predecessor, and worth putting time in.

• Jim Dirt

Well said captain. I agree with everything you said except for one thing. You called the game an enjoyable experience, and it is for now, but without satisfying the need for conquest, it will very soon lose its appeal. I've spent a little $$$ starting up but it will likely end here. Sure I could be like Havoc and "pay to win" but where's the fun in that?

• Cap'n Crunch

I agree with you as well, and thank you for wording it better especially with "need for conquest". I take "enjoyable experience" from what I had been doing with TW over the past few months til I learned GS was in the works. I would pop in everytime I visited a new place IRL and mark it, but didn't actually play the game beyond its GPS aspect. Hearing of GS however reinvigorated my excitement for TW and I did all the fun capping and hopping again. GS does not offer this same experience at the current time, past its endgame of leveling up and maxing base limit. Yes, unless I spent the piggy bank, GS will remain a game fun for when I want to mark my travels.

• Jim Dirt

Anyone want to lay odds on how long the "no capping beyond limit" game model will be adhered to? I'll go 6 months tops... What does everyone else think?

• Mike Hunt

Jim Dirt wrote:

Well said captain. I agree with everything you said except for one thing. You called the game an enjoyable experience, and it is for now, but without satisfying the need for conquest, it will very soon lose its appeal. I've spent a little $$$ starting up but it will likely end here. Sure I could be like Havoc and "pay to win" but where's the fun in that?

Kind of where I'm at now already too. If I'm gonna put anymore money into a mean free path venture it'll be TW. At least I can stretch those dollars out a little more there.

• Jim Dirt

I'm sure they will adjust some things here after they have given it a long enough trial to see that it does not work...

• ᎰᎥᎡᏋᏚᎢᎾᏒᎷ

One of the only games where $20 gets you somewhat far ahead. Then your up with people who also spent the $20. So you got the people who don't do very well because they don't spend the cash, and the people who do well because they do. I have a feeling that the latter is the larger group.

Reply to this topic