Classic Car Restoration

ForumsGeneral Discussion › Classic Car Restoration
  • Kinnen

Does anyone have real knowledge on value and cost of restoring a1964 Pontiac GTO? Last October my father passed away. He left behind his original first car, a 64' GTO convertible 389ci with a 4 speed manual transmission. Problem is he spent his last years disassembling virtually the whole car to polish and preserve every part. Literally it is a shell that would need to be reassembled by a pro. It would be the greatest thing to see it back on the road someday. My questions are what would a mint 64 GTO cost and what would a professional charge to take on such a project. Over the years he accrued multiple extra parts to have all original when put back together. I get lost just looking at everything. My brothers talk about either selling it all as is or selling it off part by part to maximize value. I wish to complete my dad's goal of getting it back on the road. Lack of cash is my biggest problem. Imagine your dream car separated into a puzzle. I live in MI. Would anyone know a way to get an honest appraisal?

• miket

Very costly on that type of restore. But to have it all original and running would be awesome

• ZRAYGO

Wow. I'm hearing my own story! I have my dads 64 GTO convertible. 389 w 6 pack, unfortunately the 2 speed auto. I have it 95% taken apart, labeled and in baggies and such.

My dad drove that car out of the showroom. I learned how to drive in that car. It means the work to me. It'll prolly not get restored until after my parents pass away.

Find a club in your area. Talk to them. You should find some good honest people.

• Kinnen

That's the hard part. Everyone who has ever seen it asks my mom if she wants to sell it. For me it's sentimental value more than cash. If I had cash I would take 5-10 years to get it perfect. My lack of knowledge on cars in general means I would need someone trustworthy to do most of the actual work. Our basement has shelves of parts all wrapped and protected. Nothing labeled though. Plus eBay was his kyroptonite. He has extra engine blocks, heads, carborators, hoods, trunk lids and such. All I know is he always told story how he paid $50 for wood steering wheel option in 64' and now that steering wheel is worth a couple grand. So far I've found 8 carborators.

• miket

You maybe able to sell extra parts for restore cash b

• 👥Uncle Bobby🐝👥

miket wrote:

👍👍👍

• ШÎŁĐΣМΛЙ

Thats a badass car Kinnen! I hope one day you'll be driving it.

• Kinnen

miket wrote:

Not a bad idea. Such as keep two functioning carbs and sell the rest. This is going to take a few years no matter how I go about it.

• 🏁MrsHotrodtech💍

A friend of mine took him 10 years and about 80k to do a complete restoration on his GTO it was a complete frame off restoration

• Kinnen

🏁MrsHotrodtech💍 wrote:

A friend of mine took him 10 years and about 80k to do a complete restoration on his GTO it was a complete frame off restoration

I hopefully have 10 years. I'm about $79,995 short on the cash part. So looks like I have to start a career as a purse snatcher or find a sugar momma!😁

Reply to this topic