Describe thought.

ForumsGeneral Discussion › Describe thought.
  • 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

What happens when you think? Do you think in words? Do you hear a voice which describes your thoughts? Do you notice the voice right now since its been mentioned?

Just curious.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

Oh and im not asking if you have a mental illness or anything. That doesn't matter. Im just seeing who thinks in words.

• Dark♦Stone

Idk if this is weird or not, but if I read something my mind goes into race. Not to be biast (I'm black btw so I think it's all gud) but when I see something like,"what in da heill" I think MADEA in my mind. Then if I see "British literature, I have a Nile accent. Do you do that? @greene

• 从ㄠㄊ丹

I've been replaying the same hand of poker in my head for 2.5 hours. How to break the loop?!?!

• Sir Duckface

N0MAD wrote:

Idk if this is weird or not, but if I read something my mind goes into race. Not to be biast (I'm black btw so I think it's all gud) but when I see something like,"what in da heill" I think MADEA in my mind. Then if I see "British literature, I have a Nile accent. Do you do that? @greene

It is the way the mind works, based off of what you know and think. If you grew up thinking a British accent sounded German, then that would be how you read English literature in your head.

• Sir Duckface

Ego, Super Ego, and Id. The mind. Voices. Life. Confusion. Hypnocy. Terrorism. Obey me.

• ⚡Ƭعㅆ℘عʂϮ⚡★Ꮜ͢ℕ

I tend to mentally narrate my life, if that makes sense. But yes I do think in words, except when I'm reading, then I think in pictures

• clone9786

I hear my voice. I also argue with myself. I will think one version and speak another softly to myself to argue or reason with myself.

• sebriah

💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚 wrote:

Oh and im not asking if you have a mental illness or anything. That doesn't matter. Im just seeing who thinks in words.

Doesn't everyone think in words? Well not babies of course and maybe people with a severe or profound intellectual disability. Okay, never mind several examples are coming to mind. My assumptions about people never cease to amaze me.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

sebriah wrote:

💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚 wrote:

Doesn't everyone think in words? Well not babies of course and maybe people with a severe or profound intellectual disability. Okay, never mind several examples are coming to mind. My assumptions about people never cease to amaze me.

This is more of an exercise, than it is a test. There's no wrong answers or thinking to much.

The point is to collect the views and compile them for me to use for whatever it is i use your answers for.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

Too*

• ▪False▪

I don't think in words most of the time. I don't really have that little voice unless I'm reading. Other than that, it just happens.

• 💖Swagger💖

I think in words, which is fine most of the time.

The problem comes when I try to think through an impossible situation.

For example: What might happen if...

The 'voices' tend to find the worst case scenario and make it worse (far worse).

At best this paralyses me into inaction, at worst can lead me into a terrible spiral of depression.

Therefore, I'm learning to not think about stuff. Lol.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

💖Swagger💖 wrote:

I think in words, which is fine most of the time.

The problem comes when I try to think through an impossible situation.

For example: What might happen if...

The 'voices' tend to find the worst case scenario and make it worse (far worse).

At best this paralyses me into inaction, at worst can lead me into a terrible spiral of depression.

Therefore, I'm learning to not think about stuff. Lol.

I can relate.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

Fasinating replies! Thanks everyone!

• DominusTecum

⚡Ƭعㅆ℘عʂϮ⚡★Ꮜ͢ℕ wrote:

I tend to mentally narrate my life, if that makes sense. But yes I do think in words, except when I'm reading, then I think in pictures

I think in words sometimes, because my mind already knows what I have to do. Like picking up a toy my son left behind. I don't literally say in my head oh I have to pick this up. And when in reading a book I picture the scenes. And when I read the forums like this, I picture people walking in and out of rooms sitting at a table discussing what ever the topic is. (Different voices) If that makes sense to anyone

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

Oh and in case anyone was wondering why i even made this thread, its due to researching this...

Bicameralism (the philosophy of "two-chamberedness") is a hypothesis in psychology that argues that the human mind once assumed a state in which cognitive functions were divided between one part of the brain which appears to be "speaking", and a second part which listens and obeys—a bicameral mind. The term was coined by psychologist Julian Jaynes, who presented the idea in his 1976 book The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, wherein he made the case that a bicameral mentality was the normal and ubiquitous state of the human mind only as recently as 3000 years ago.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

I often forget to give a reason for why i ask the questions i ask. It's usually because of things like this.

• Ꮶ͜иιɢн͡т

I tend to think in my own voice, in my inner perception of my voice, not my actual voice! Imagine lip syncing without moving your lips. I suppose it really is thinking in words but with my voice. Interesting.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

Ꮶ͜иιɢн͡т wrote:

I tend to think in my own voice, in my inner perception of my voice, not my actual voice! Imagine lip syncing without moving your lips. I suppose it really is thinking in words but with my voice. Interesting.

I think so!

• ΘйэЂцмъВдѕтдяd

I thumb; therefore, I am.👍

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

ᎾɠʉɳЂэΒlʉɳτ wrote:

I thumb; therefore, I am.👍

Do you ever listen to Anvil? There's a particular song they perform that i think you might enjoy....

• ⅉⅇⅆⅈ ཫཬསབϯའཪངƙऽ

I think with neurotransmitters and synapses located throughout my brain matter 😝.

But seriously.. I am able to think in 3 different languages. For the most part, everyone can associate a thought using any of their 5 senses.
    You can enrich your thoughts and enhance your memory by incorporating more of your senses to your thought-process and how you consciously perceive the world around you.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

ⅉⅇⅆⅈ ཫཬསབϯའཪངƙऽ wrote:

I think with neurotransmitters and synapses located throughout my brain matter 😝.

But seriously.. I am able to think in 3 different languages. For the most part, everyone can associate a thought using any of their 5 senses.You can enrich your thoughts and enhance your memory by incorporating more of your senses to your thought-process and how you consciously perceive the world around you.

Smell is connected to memory more often than not.

• ᏰᎡᏌᎢᎪᏞ

I think in actions.

For example, I didn't think of what I'm typing in words, I thought of myself typing these words.

I lose touch with reality when I think deeply. I don't hear or see anything but my thoughts.

• CΗΞΞ͒SΞ

I tend to think that I fall into the metacognition trap and it's not always a good place to be. Words for thoughts within thoughts.

Metacognition is defined as "cognition about cognition", or "knowing about knowing." It can take many forms; it includes knowledge about when and how to use particular strategies for learning or for problem solving.There are generally two components of metacognition: knowledge about cognition, and regulation of cognition.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

ᏰᎡᏌᎢᎪᏞ wrote:

I think in actions.

For example, I didn't think of what I'm typing in words, I thought of myself typing these words.

I lose touch with reality when I think deeply. I don't hear or see anything but my thoughts.

Im nearly always in that state of mind when im on these games. Im usually not giving my full or even half of my attention most of the time.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

cheese wrote:

I tend to think that I fall into the metacognition trap and it's not always a good place to be. Words for thoughts within thoughts.

Metacognition is defined as "cognition about cognition", or "knowing about knowing." It can take many forms; it includes knowledge about when and how to use particular strategies for learning or for problem solving.There are generally two components of metacognition: knowledge about cognition, and regulation of cognition.

Hmmm. That's different. But it seems like a hyperbole.

• 💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚

Knowing about knowing cant be known for sure. It's entirely possible we merely exist in a space which exists solely to provide another reality a set of rules for it to follow. We could just be specks on a giant universal calculator that calculates the physics of another plane we can't simply perceive by the laws a lesser plane provides for us. Perhaps there's entities in these planes as well.

It's possible.

• ▪False▪

💚Ⴚгɘɘɲʍɑɳ💚 wrote:

Knowing about knowing cant be known for sure. It's entirely possible we merely exist in a space which exists solely to provide another reality a set of rules for it to follow. We could just be specks on a giant universal calculator that calculates the physics of another plane we can't simply perceive by the laws a lesser plane provides for us. Perhaps there's entities in these planes as well.

It's possible.

String Theory, brochacho.

• ɅɭɭMᗅNЯ

When thinking I normally hear a voice inside my head and go along with that, however I can go through stages where I just think in pictures without trying to imagine the picture. ie when I'm hungry I will spontaneously just see a picture of my favourite food.

Reply to this topic